Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wednesday, January 18

Greetings everyone, it's a fine winter day in Raleigh, should be near 60 degrees later. The side effects of my treatments have subsided to noise level; I feel normal most of the time and have resumed my workout routine at about 90% of my pre-treatment level. I still have afternoon and evening 'crashes', a sudden loss of energy and mild headache which I treat by taking one couch for an hour or two.

Last night I felt well and energetic enough to cook up a stir fry with beef, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and broccoli...soy, vinegar, garlic, ginger, lots of black pepper. Just ate the leftovers..... :-)

Today is not a workout day so I took 2 of our 3 dogs out for a 50 minute walk - they behaved themselves well and everyone enjoyed it.

I've always got 2 or 3 books in process (reading, not writing), and one worth mentioning is "Bonhoeffer - Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy"......Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a German pastor who took God at His word and stood in opposition to Hitler when the vast majority of the German church leadership had fallen in line in support of the Nazi regime. A shout-out to my sister Jill for giving it to me for my 49th back in November. Bonhoeffer wrote one of the most famous books in the Christian faith, "The Cost of Discipleship", which I plan to read again after finishing this great biography. Bonhoeffer began his active opposition to Hitler and the corrupted Reich Church in 1933 when he was 25 years old. He was executed in 1945 before he turned 40. Hugely inspiring book and provides great perspective.

I'll post something by saturday to let you know how my visit with my local oncologist, Dr. Kritz, goes on Friday.

Meet Dr. Keating:


Meet Dr. Kritz:

No comments:

Post a Comment