Saturday, January 15, 2011

Back Home Again

Greetings friends, it's Saturday afternoon and I'm back in Raleigh, very glad to be home.  Since my last post, I was visited by the notorious side effects of chemotherapy, fatigue and nausea - they started after my last treatment Thursday - yesterday I couldn't bring myself to look at a computer screen, and of course the travel home was a chore.  I'm feeling a little better now, and we're all hopeful that the worst of the treatment side effects are over.  It hasn't been very bad, just a nagging queasiness and the attendant difficulty in finding anything appetizing to eat. 

We had another good meeting with Dr. Keating on Friday - he greeted me with a "hey how come you look so good, I thought we would have beaten you up a lot more!"....and of course a couple of hugs...he says that I'm responding well to the treatments, my white count was down to 23,000 after the Wednesday treatment and my nurse Alice opined that she thinks my whites will be 'normal' by next week.  While it's a good start and exactly what they wanted to see, it's too early to draw any conclusions about remission; that will not become apparent until I return to Houston in April and they have a look into my blood cell factory, the stem cells in the marrow.

I will see my local doc (Dr. Kritz) later this week and we'll count cells again.  More soon.....

Thanks again everyone for your support, prayers, and well wishes.


 

3 comments:

  1. Dan, thanks for the updates. I trust you're feeling a little better after being home for a few days. It was good to see you at Christmas. I'll continue praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan....there's no place like home!!! A recommendation on the nausea...zofran. It has no side effects, and really seems to help. One issue we had was the insurance company was a little reluctant but we were able to twist arms and get approval.
    GREAT news on the counts!!!
    Keep up the great attitude...Bill and Barb

    ReplyDelete